Posted: May 22, 2012 Filed under: All Saint's Church, Bradley, Census, Churches, Devon, Domesday Survey, Early, England, Highweek, Highweek, Highweek, Highweek, Newton Abbot, Parish, Schirebourne Newton, Teignmouth, Teignwick | Tags: All Saints, All Saints Church Teignmouth, Bradley, Domesday, Highweek Parish, Lord Of The Manor, Meadowland, Parish Church, River Teign, Royal Approval, Schirebourne Newton, Sheep Goats. Highweek's Parish Church, Teignwick, Trading Post, Wick, Woodland
Highweek Parish comprises the manors of Wick, or Teignwick, Bradley and perhaps a third manor of Schirebourne Newton. ‘Wick’ has a Latin root coming from the word ‘wic’ indicating a trading post with Royal Approval, hence Teignwick signifying a trading post on the River Teign. At the time of the Domesday’s record, 8 acres of woodland and 4 acres of meadowland were recorded equally between the Lord of the Manor and the workers, with 100 sheep and 28 goats. Highweek’s Parish Church, All Saints Church has a clear view to Teignmouth.
All Saints Church, Highweek, Newton Abbot The copyright on this image is owned by Derek Harper and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Description: English: All Saints Church, Highweek The church is in a dominant position on a hill overlooking Newton Abbot, and stands on its own away from other buildings. Date: 24 July 2008. Source: From geograph.org.uk Author: Derek Harper
Posted: May 18, 2012 Filed under: Berry's Wood, Berry's Woods, Bradley Manor House, Census, Devon, Domesday Survey, Early, England, Forts, Highweek, Hill Fort, Newton Abbot, Places Nearby, Population, River Lemon, Wolborough, Woods | Tags: 1086, Berry, Berry Wood, Berry's Wood, Bradley Manor House, Community Life, Ditch, Domesday Survey, Entrance, Highweek, Hill, Hill Fort, Huts, Limestone, Monuments, Multiple Enclosures, Newton Abbot, Postern, Rampart, River Lemon, Shelters, Single Enclosure, Walls, Wolborough, Wood
There is evidence of community life in Newton Abbot before the Domesday Survey in 1086 in the form of three monuments, and perhaps back as far as 7th century BC, or before in two hill forts, arranged in a single enclosure and multiple enclosures. One hill fort structure in Berry’s Wood, North of Bradley Manor House, consists of a single rampart of limestone and ditch, with the main entrance at the South East end and a postern at the North West end, covering 11 acres, including indications of huts, walls and shelters. Wolborough lies to the South and Highweek to the north and is in close proximity to the River Lemon.
Hill Fort, Berry’s Wood, Newton Abbot, Devon