There was a multiple hill fort on Milber Downs. The hill fort was made up of four concentric rings, which is now bisected by St. Marychurch Road. The hill fort nested on the slope rather than the summit, indicating a farming community that covered ten acres. It is thought to date pre-1st Century BC. As well as Roman artefacts and pottery being discovered on the site, pottery from an earlier civilisation was found and is now housed in the Torquay Natural History Museum, together with a pictorial history in Newton Abbot Museum of photographs of a bronze bird, deer and duck. Romans camped at the hill fort briefly. The hill fort was abandoned at the end of the 1st Century AD.
There is evidence of community life in Newton Abbot before the Domesday Survey in 1086 in the form of three monuments, and perhaps back as far as 7th century BC, or before in two hill forts, arranged in a single enclosure and multiple enclosures. One hill fort structure in Berry’s Wood, North of Bradley Manor House, consists of a single rampart of limestone and ditch, with the main entrance at the South East end and a postern at the North West end, covering 11 acres, including indications of huts, walls and shelters. Wolborough lies to the South and Highweek to the north and is in close proximity to the River Lemon.