Posted: June 24, 2012 Filed under: Bradley Lane, Devon, Early, England, Halcyon Road, History, Leather Industry, Lords of the Manor, Manors, Mill Leat, Mills, Moses Vicary, Newton Abbot, Samuel Brancombe, Tanyards, Wool | Tags: Branscombe, Branscombes, Halcyon Road, Leather Industry, Lord's Manor The, Manor, Mill Leat, Moses Vicary Lords of the Manor, Newton Abbot, Samuel Brancombe, Sheep Skins, Tanyard in Bradley Lane, Textiles and Nonwovens, Vicarys, Wash Wool, Wool
The Branscombes owned a wool business on the corner of Halcyon Road. In 1787 Samuel Brancombe and Moses Vicary made agreements with the Lords of the Manor to wash wool and skins in the Mill Leat. Later the Samuel Branscombe’s business failed and sold out his wool business to the Vicarys and in 1837 Samuel’s son, who was in the leather industry, sold their tanyard in Bradley Lane to the Vicarys.
Wool and Sheep
Posted: June 21, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, Gilbert Yarde, History, Markets, Markets, Mills, Mills, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Newton Bushel, Walter Yarde, Wolborough Street, Wool | Tags: Bradley Manor, Coarse Woollen Cloth, Gilbert Yarde, Kersey, Markets, Newton Bushel, Serge, Sheep, Undercover Market, Walter Yarde, Wolborough Street, Wool
Gilbert Yarde inherited the markets and Bradley Manor from Walter Yarde and he built an undercover market in Wolborough Street. Wool continued to be the main commodity with Newton Bushel reputed for producers of Kersey (Coarse Woollen Cloth) or Serge.
Posted: June 17, 2012 Filed under: Cattle, Devon, England, History, Markets, Markets, Streets, Wolborough Street | Tags: 27 Wolborough Street, Alice Gaverock, Battle of Triangle Hill, Bull Ring, Cattle, Elizabeth Gaverock, Fairs, Inheritance, John Gaverock, Lord's Manor The, Market House, Markets, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushell, Pigs, Richard Yarde, Sheep, St. Leonardm, Susan Gaverock, Triangle Hill, Wednesday Market, Wolborough Street, Yarde, Yarde Family
John Gaverock (c1533) had three daughters Elizabeth, Alice and Susan. After the death of John Gaverock they sold part of their inheritance to the Yarde family. In 1633 Richard Yarde was responsible for amalgamating the two markets and fairs and from then on the larger combined Wednesday market was held in Wolborough Street, flourishing as one body. The Market House was at the west end of St. Leonard’s and was moved in 1826. Sheep, pigs and cattle stood right up through Wolborough Street and the bull ring was opposite 27 Wolborough Street. As a result the Market site on Triangle Hill in Newton Bushell fell into decline.
Newton Abbot Cattle Market
Posted: June 15, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, John Gaverock, Newton Abbot, Streets, Wolborough, Wolborough Street | Tags: Forde House, John Gaverock, John Gaverock of Forde., Manor House, Newton Abbot, Wolborough Street
John Gaverock lived in the manor house in Wolborough Street until he owned the town and then he built Forde House and became known as John Gaverock of Forde.
Posted: June 1, 2012 Filed under: Courtenay Street, Devon, Early, England, Eustacia de Courtenay, History, Newton Abbot, St. Leonard's Church | Tags: Courtenay Street, Newton Abbot
Courtenay Street, Newton Abbot
Courtenay Street, Newton Abbot
Posted: May 27, 2012 Filed under: Bradley, Bradley Manor, Bradley Manor House, Devon, Early, England | Tags: Bradley, Bradley Manor, Bradley Manor House, Devon, England, Manor, Newton Abbot
Bradley Manor House, Devon (Photo credit: Matt Chapman)
Bradley Manor was considered a separate Manor and may be derived from the term “Broad Clearing.”
Posted: May 26, 2012 Filed under: Bradley, Bradley Manor, Castle, Cattle, Devon, Early, England, Highweek, Markets, Mills, Norman Castle, River Lemon, Sherbourne, Sherbourne Road, Sherbourne Road, Teignwick | Tags: Bradley, Bradley Manor, Highweek, Lord's Manor The, Manor, Manor of Teignwick, Newton Abbot, River Lemon, Schirebourne Newton, Sherbourne Mill, Teignwick
As the child heir to the Manor of Teignwick was brought up with his guardians at Bradley Manor, the defensive castle at Teignwick was no longer needed and fell into disrepair and the Bushels developed the older settlement in the valley, on the north banks of the River Lemon.
Teignwick name was then changed to Highweek and the new Lord of the Manor’s territory was thought to be known as Schirebourne Newton, “new village beside a clear stream”, and a mill developed called Sherbourne Mill, which was functioning until the 1930s, when it was demolished to make way for the new cattle market on Sherbourne Road.