Posted: June 25, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, History, John Hayman, Leather Industry, Markets, Mills, Moses Vicary, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Rebecca Duke, Richard Haymen, Serge, Tanyards, Wool | Tags: Boot and Shoe Merchant, Devon, England, John Hayman, Leather Industry, Moses Vicary, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Rebecca Duke, Richard Haymen, Serge, Wool, Wool Industry
Aligned with the wool industry the leather industry also thrived in Newton Abbot as shown in an agreement in 1580 between John Hayman and Richard Haymen. Another family which helped the leather trade to flourish were the Vicarys. The industry was still thriving circa 1800 when Moses Vicary was married to Rebecca Duke, a daughter of a wealthy boot and shoe merchant and the Vicary families helped the town to prosper, despite the ceasing of the manufacture in Newton Bushel of serge by 1805.
Posted: June 24, 2012 Filed under: Bradley Lane, Devon, Early, England, Halcyon Road, History, Leather Industry, Lords of the Manor, Manors, Mill Leat, Mills, Moses Vicary, Newton Abbot, Samuel Brancombe, Tanyards, Wool | Tags: Branscombe, Branscombes, Halcyon Road, Leather Industry, Lord's Manor The, Manor, Mill Leat, Moses Vicary Lords of the Manor, Newton Abbot, Samuel Brancombe, Sheep Skins, Tanyard in Bradley Lane, Textiles and Nonwovens, Vicarys, Wash Wool, Wool
The Branscombes owned a wool business on the corner of Halcyon Road. In 1787 Samuel Brancombe and Moses Vicary made agreements with the Lords of the Manor to wash wool and skins in the Mill Leat. Later the Samuel Branscombe’s business failed and sold out his wool business to the Vicarys and in 1837 Samuel’s son, who was in the leather industry, sold their tanyard in Bradley Lane to the Vicarys.
Wool and Sheep
Posted: June 23, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, Leather Industry, Markets, Mills, Mills, Moses Vicary, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Newton Bushel, Vicary Family, Wool, Wool | Tags: Cloth, Export Duty, Fibers, Government, Irish Wool, Natural, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Petition, Textiles and Nonwovens, Vicary Family, Wool, Wool Industry
In 1739 the government debated the removal of export duty on Irish wool and cloth and several citizens of Newton Bushel sent a petition protesting against the removal. Following this the Vicary Family became involved in the wool industry and influenced growth. In 1786 after the death of Vicary his ten year old son and wife continued the wool trade.
Posted: June 20, 2012 Filed under: Bradley, Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, Lucy Brandon, Manors, Newton Abbot, Sir Richard Reynell, Wolborough, Wolborough, Wolborough, Wolborough | Tags: Chamberlain of the City of London, City of London, Exchequer, Forde Manor, John Graverock, Lawyer, Lucy Brandon, Newton Abbot, Officer of the Court of Exchequer, Richard Reynell, Sir Richard Reynell, Wolborough Manor
Sir Richard Reynell was a lawyer and officer of the Court of Exchequer and was married to Lucy Brandon, daughter of the Chamberlain of the City of London. By 1610 Sir Richard Reynell acquired Forde Manor from the daughters John Graverock’s daughters who also disposed of the whole of the estate of Wolborough Manor.
Sir Richard Reynell
Posted: June 17, 2012 Filed under: Cattle, Devon, England, History, Markets, Markets, Streets, Wolborough Street | Tags: 27 Wolborough Street, Alice Gaverock, Battle of Triangle Hill, Bull Ring, Cattle, Elizabeth Gaverock, Fairs, Inheritance, John Gaverock, Lord's Manor The, Market House, Markets, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushell, Pigs, Richard Yarde, Sheep, St. Leonardm, Susan Gaverock, Triangle Hill, Wednesday Market, Wolborough Street, Yarde, Yarde Family
John Gaverock (c1533) had three daughters Elizabeth, Alice and Susan. After the death of John Gaverock they sold part of their inheritance to the Yarde family. In 1633 Richard Yarde was responsible for amalgamating the two markets and fairs and from then on the larger combined Wednesday market was held in Wolborough Street, flourishing as one body. The Market House was at the west end of St. Leonard’s and was moved in 1826. Sheep, pigs and cattle stood right up through Wolborough Street and the bull ring was opposite 27 Wolborough Street. As a result the Market site on Triangle Hill in Newton Bushell fell into decline.
Newton Abbot Cattle Market
Posted: June 16, 2012 Filed under: Bradley Manor, Buildings, Devon, England, History, People, Teignwick, Thomas Yarde | Tags: Bradley Manor, John Gaverock, Manor and Borough of Newton Abbot, Manor of Teignwick, Newton Abbot, Thomas Yarde
By 1533 Bradley Manor and the Manor of Teignwick had passed to Thomas Yarde and when John Gaverock died Thomas Yarde acquired control of the Manor and Borough of Newton Abbot at a cost of £284 0s 11d.
Teignwick and Newton Abbot
Posted: June 15, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, John Gaverock, Newton Abbot, Streets, Wolborough, Wolborough Street | Tags: Forde House, John Gaverock, John Gaverock of Forde., Manor House, Newton Abbot, Wolborough Street
John Gaverock lived in the manor house in Wolborough Street until he owned the town and then he built Forde House and became known as John Gaverock of Forde.