Posted: June 22, 2012 Filed under: Bradbury, Bradley, Buildings, Cattle, Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, History, Jane Reynell, Lucy Reynell, Manors, Markets, Markets, Mills, Mills, Newton Abbot, Newton Bushel, Sherbourne Road, Sir Richard Reynell, Sir William Waller, Wool, Wool, Yardes of Bradley | Tags: Forder House, History, Jane Reynell, Lucy Reynell, Sir Richard Reynell, Sir William Waller, William Waller, Wool, Yardes, Yardes of Bradley
William Waller married Jane Reynell, daughter of Sir Richard and Lucy Reynell and inherited Forde House. In the 17th Century a battle took place to gain control of the Market between Sir William Waller and the Yardes of Bradley with the control remaining with the Yardes, showing the importance of wool to the area.
Sir William Waller
Posted: June 20, 2012 Filed under: Bradley, Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, Lucy Brandon, Manors, Newton Abbot, Sir Richard Reynell, Wolborough, Wolborough, Wolborough, Wolborough | Tags: Chamberlain of the City of London, City of London, Exchequer, Forde Manor, John Graverock, Lawyer, Lucy Brandon, Newton Abbot, Officer of the Court of Exchequer, Richard Reynell, Sir Richard Reynell, Wolborough Manor
Sir Richard Reynell was a lawyer and officer of the Court of Exchequer and was married to Lucy Brandon, daughter of the Chamberlain of the City of London. By 1610 Sir Richard Reynell acquired Forde Manor from the daughters John Graverock’s daughters who also disposed of the whole of the estate of Wolborough Manor.
Sir Richard Reynell
Posted: June 16, 2012 Filed under: Bradley Manor, Buildings, Devon, England, History, People, Teignwick, Thomas Yarde | Tags: Bradley Manor, John Gaverock, Manor and Borough of Newton Abbot, Manor of Teignwick, Newton Abbot, Thomas Yarde
By 1533 Bradley Manor and the Manor of Teignwick had passed to Thomas Yarde and when John Gaverock died Thomas Yarde acquired control of the Manor and Borough of Newton Abbot at a cost of £284 0s 11d.
Teignwick and Newton Abbot
Posted: June 15, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, John Gaverock, Newton Abbot, Streets, Wolborough, Wolborough Street | Tags: Forde House, John Gaverock, John Gaverock of Forde., Manor House, Newton Abbot, Wolborough Street
John Gaverock lived in the manor house in Wolborough Street until he owned the town and then he built Forde House and became known as John Gaverock of Forde.
Posted: June 14, 2012 Filed under: Abbots, Buildings, Churches, Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, History, John Gaverock, King Henry VIII, Newton Abbot, Parish, People, Wolborough | Tags: Abbot's Steward, Devon, Dissolution Of The Monasteries, England, Forde, King Henry VIII, Lord's Manor The, Manor, Newton Abbot, Newton Abbot. John Gaverock
In 1539 King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and as a consequence the Abbots lost control of Newton Abbot. In 1545 the town of Newton Abbot came into the possession of John Gaverock, a former Abbot’s steward for a cost of £592 14s 2d, and the King was satisfied with his credentials and thereafter the town was in private hands. John Gaverock built a new manorial home at Forde.
Forde, Newton Abbot
Posted: June 13, 2012 Filed under: Bradbury, Bradley Manor, Buildings, Devon, Early, England, Gilbert Yarde, History, Mathew Yarde, Mills, Mills, Newton Abbot, Wool, Wool | Tags: Bradley, Bradley Manor, Bushel, Corn, Corn Mills, Gilbert Yarde, Lord's Manor The, Mills, Newton Abbot, River Lemon, Wool, Wool Mills, Yarde
On the north side of the River Lemon lies Bradley Manor and after the male line of the Bushels died out in 1402 the manor was in the possession of the Yarde family. Wool was important as there were six mills on the estate, three fellmongering (stripping the wool from a sheep) mills and three corn mills.
Posted: May 29, 2012 Filed under: Devon, Early, England, History, St. Leonard's Church, St. Leonard's Tower | Tags: Devon, England, Leonard, Newton Abbot, Patron Saint of Prisoners, St. Leonard, St. Leonard's Church, St. Leonard's Tower, Tower
Photochrom print by Photoglob Zürich, between 1890 and 1900. From the Photochrom Prints Collection at the Library of Congress More photochroms from England | More photochrom prints [PD] This picture is in the public domain (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
St. Leonard was the Patron Saint of Prisoners and this is probably why churches in the area were so named, in gratitude for the release of King Richard I following payment of the ransom, and subsequent release of the rest of the hostages. St. Leonard’s Tower is all that remains of St. Leonard’s Church in Newton Abbot and is a listed building. Church of St Leonard, Newton Abbot Details.
St. Leonard’s, Wolborough, Newton Abbot