History Of Markets In Newton Abbot

Teignwick Manor was granted a Charter in 1246 for a weekly market on Triangle Hill and a further Charter was granted in 1331. In the 13th century, Teignwick Manor was renamed Newton Bushel, after Robert Bushel, who was then Lord of the Manor. Also four consecutive days of fairs twice a year were also granted on the feasts of Ascension and All Saints. At the markets and fairs were local produce, wares and cloths from traders in the surrounding area, together with entertainment such as plays, racing, wrestling and dancing.

Wool Market

Wool Market

Advertisements

Highweek Parish

Highweek Parish comprises the manors of Wick, or Teignwick, Bradley and perhaps a third manor of Schirebourne Newton. ‘Wick’ has a Latin root coming from the word ‘wic’ indicating a trading post with Royal Approval, hence Teignwick signifying a trading post on the River Teign. At the time of the Domesday’s record, 8 acres of woodland and 4 acres of meadowland were recorded equally between the Lord of the Manor and the workers, with 100 sheep and 28 goats. Highweek’s Parish Church, All Saints Church has a clear view to Teignmouth.

All Saints Church, Highweek, Newton Abbot

All Saints Church, Highweek, Newton Abbot The copyright on this image is owned by Derek Harper and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Description: English: All Saints Church, Highweek The church is in a dominant position on a hill overlooking Newton Abbot, and stands on its own away from other buildings. Date: 24 July 2008. Source: From geograph.org.uk Author: Derek Harper