Bradley Manor was considered a separate Manor and may be derived from the term “Broad Clearing.”
If the Lord of the Manor fell out of favour with the King the land reverted back to the King, as in the case of Teignwick’s Lord of the Manor, William of Montaine, which occurred during the reign of King Henry I. Teignwick was presented to Lucas, King Henry II’s butler and subsequently passed to Lucas’ son, John Fitz-Lucas.
By 1205 Teignwick had once again reverted to the crown, as King John granted the Manor of Teignwick to the widow of Lucas’s grandson, Eustacia de Courtenay. Following the death of Eustacia de Courtenay, King Henry III gave Teignwick to Theobald de Englishville.
Theobald de Englishville was granted a charter, for a market, to rent land and to inflict capital punishment.
- The Charter was for a weekly market, held on land behind St. Mary’s in Highweek Street, known as Triangle Hill and later corrupted to Trigle Hill and then Treacle Hill.
- Theobald was given permission to lease land near the banks of the River Lemon from which he could draw rents.
- Theobald erected his gallows at Forches Cross.
These rights were conferred outright to him and his heirs in 1247 in return for an annual nominal sum. Childless, Theobald adopted his sister’s son in 1262, Robert Bushel as his heir, which is where Newton Bushell comes from.
In 1269, Robert Bushel was succeeded by his 4 year old son Theobald, whose mother had already died, and Theobald was placed in the guardianship of Henry and Matila de Bickleigh, tenants of Bradley Manor, and as a consequence became the Manor House of Teignwick, up until the last male heir in 1402.
There is evidence of community life in Newton Abbot before the Domesday Survey in 1086 in the form of three monuments, and perhaps back as far as 7th century BC, or before in two hill forts, arranged in a single enclosure and multiple enclosures. One hill fort structure in Berry’s Wood, North of Bradley Manor House, consists of a single rampart of limestone and ditch, with the main entrance at the South East end and a postern at the North West end, covering 11 acres, including indications of huts, walls and shelters. Wolborough lies to the South and Highweek to the north and is in close proximity to the River Lemon.