Posted: June 14, 2012 Filed under: Abbots, Buildings, Churches, Devon, Early, England, Forde, Forde Manor, History, John Gaverock, King Henry VIII, Newton Abbot, Parish, People, Wolborough | Tags: Abbot's Steward, Devon, Dissolution Of The Monasteries, England, Forde, King Henry VIII, Lord's Manor The, Manor, Newton Abbot, Newton Abbot. John Gaverock
In 1539 King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and as a consequence the Abbots lost control of Newton Abbot. In 1545 the town of Newton Abbot came into the possession of John Gaverock, a former Abbot’s steward for a cost of £592 14s 2d, and the King was satisfied with his credentials and thereafter the town was in private hands. John Gaverock built a new manorial home at Forde.
Forde, Newton Abbot