By 1533 Bradley Manor and the Manor of Teignwick had passed to Thomas Yarde and when John Gaverock died Thomas Yarde acquired control of the Manor and Borough of Newton Abbot at a cost of £284 0s 11d.
On the north side of the River Lemon lies Bradley Manor and after the male line of the Bushels died out in 1402 the manor was in the possession of the Yarde family. Wool was important as there were six mills on the estate, three fellmongering (stripping the wool from a sheep) mills and three corn mills.
Bradley Manor was considered a separate Manor and may be derived from the term “Broad Clearing.”
As the child heir to the Manor of Teignwick was brought up with his guardians at Bradley Manor, the defensive castle at Teignwick was no longer needed and fell into disrepair and the Bushels developed the older settlement in the valley, on the north banks of the River Lemon.
Teignwick name was then changed to Highweek and the new Lord of the Manor’s territory was thought to be known as Schirebourne Newton, “new village beside a clear stream”, and a mill developed called Sherbourne Mill, which was functioning until the 1930s, when it was demolished to make way for the new cattle market on Sherbourne Road.
If the Lord of the Manor fell out of favour with the King the land reverted back to the King, as in the case of Teignwick’s Lord of the Manor, William of Montaine, which occurred during the reign of King Henry I. Teignwick was presented to Lucas, King Henry II’s butler and subsequently passed to Lucas’ son, John Fitz-Lucas.
By 1205 Teignwick had once again reverted to the crown, as King John granted the Manor of Teignwick to the widow of Lucas’s grandson, Eustacia de Courtenay. Following the death of Eustacia de Courtenay, King Henry III gave Teignwick to Theobald de Englishville.
Theobald de Englishville was granted a charter, for a market, to rent land and to inflict capital punishment.
- The Charter was for a weekly market, held on land behind St. Mary’s in Highweek Street, known as Triangle Hill and later corrupted to Trigle Hill and then Treacle Hill.
- Theobald was given permission to lease land near the banks of the River Lemon from which he could draw rents.
- Theobald erected his gallows at Forches Cross.
These rights were conferred outright to him and his heirs in 1247 in return for an annual nominal sum. Childless, Theobald adopted his sister’s son in 1262, Robert Bushel as his heir, which is where Newton Bushell comes from.
In 1269, Robert Bushel was succeeded by his 4 year old son Theobald, whose mother had already died, and Theobald was placed in the guardianship of Henry and Matila de Bickleigh, tenants of Bradley Manor, and as a consequence became the Manor House of Teignwick, up until the last male heir in 1402.