Leather Industry In Newton Abbot

Aligned with the wool industry the leather industry also thrived in Newton Abbot as shown in an agreement in 1580 between John Hayman and Richard Haymen. Another family which helped the leather trade to flourish were the Vicarys. The industry was still thriving circa 1800 when Moses Vicary was married to Rebecca Duke, a daughter of a wealthy boot and shoe merchant and the Vicary families helped the town to prosper, despite the ceasing of the manufacture in Newton Bushel of serge by 1805.

Leather

Leather


Washing Of Wool And Skins

The Branscombes owned a wool business on the corner of Halcyon Road. In 1787 Samuel Brancombe and Moses Vicary made agreements with the Lords of the Manor to wash wool and skins in the Mill Leat. Later the Samuel Branscombe’s business failed and sold out his wool business to the Vicarys and in 1837 Samuel’s son, who was in the leather industry, sold their tanyard in Bradley Lane to ┬áthe Vicarys.

Wool and Sheep

Wool and Sheep


Export Duty On Irish Wool And Cloth Petition

In 1739 the government debated the removal of export duty on Irish wool and cloth and several citizens of Newton Bushel sent a petition protesting against the removal. Following this the Vicary Family became involved in the wool industry and influenced growth. In 1786 after the death of Vicary his ten year old son and wife continued the wool trade.

Wool Industry

Wool Industry

 


Sir William Waller

William Waller married Jane Reynell, daughter of Sir Richard and Lucy Reynell and inherited Forde House. In the 17th Century a battle took place to gain control of the Market between Sir William Waller and the Yardes of Bradley with the control remaining with the Yardes, showing the importance of wool to the area.

Sir William Waller

Sir William Waller


The Building Of Newton Abbot’s Market

Gilbert Yarde inherited the markets and Bradley Manor from Walter Yarde and he built an undercover market in Wolborough Street. Wool continued to be the main commodity with Newton Bushel reputed for producers of Kersey (Coarse Woollen Cloth) or Serge.

Sheep

Sheep


Sir Richard Reynell

Sir Richard Reynell was a lawyer and officer of the Court of Exchequer and was married to Lucy Brandon, daughter of the Chamberlain of the City of London. By 1610 Sir Richard Reynell acquired Forde Manor from the daughters John Graverock’s daughters who also disposed of the whole of the estate of Wolborough Manor.

Sir Richard Reynell

Sir Richard Reynell


Newton Abbot Market History

John Gaverock (c1533) had three daughters Elizabeth, Alice and Susan. After the death of John Gaverock they sold part of their inheritance to the Yarde family. In 1633 Richard Yarde was responsible for amalgamating the two markets and fairs and from then on the larger combined Wednesday market was held in Wolborough Street, flourishing as one body. The Market House was at the west end of St. Leonard’s and was moved in 1826. Sheep, pigs and cattle stood right up through Wolborough Street and the bull ring was opposite 27 Wolborough Street. As a result the Market site on Triangle Hill in Newton Bushell fell into decline.

Newton Abbot Cattle Market

Newton Abbot Cattle Market


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.